Friday, November 26, 2010

Homemade Ghee

I'm somewhat wary of the lard sold here. I suspect it might be hydrogenated even though it is sold refrigerated. Ghee is available at the local bio store but is somewhat expensive (and that's not even grass-fed), so I decided to try my hand at making my own.

After a long, involved self-tutoring process, which mostly consisted of watching this video, I felt I was ready. By the way, the guy in the video is a great example of all the wonderful health benefits of a vegetarian diet--nice man-tits, dude, but he does seem to know how to make ghee. And I envy him that big ole hunk of New Zealand butter he uses.


This is somewhat messy and time consuming, so a really large batch would be better, but for my first time I just started with 1/2 kilo of butter.

After a few minutes, the light milk solids make a foam on top which can be skimmed off with a spoon.


I scraped the bottom of the pan with a spatula to prevent any of the heavy particulates sticking to the bottom and burning.


Emptied it through a sieve, which didn't do much because it is a crap sieve.


Tried a cloth which was something of a disaster. I don't think it is really necesary to use a filter actually, next time I think I will just use the panning-for-gold method.


Finished product. After the reduction and all the spilling I ended up with about 300 grams of the stuff. Which makes the stuff in the store not all that unreasonable but I think I will stick with the homemade stuff and hopefully get better at making it.

2 comments:

  1. thx for the post. i tried this too and it was very easy. i actually added garlic slices to it and it was INCREDIBLE. this went much better than my pemmican experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he, I've not tried pemmican. But the garlic sound like a great idea, thanks, I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete