Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rendering Lard

Bought a ton of meat yesterday. Beef liver, beef tongue, fat back, beef shoulder, pork ribs. First thing I did was render me some lard.


Cutting the fat back up into small pieces, the most time consuming part, actually I should've gone way smaller than I did.


Witch's brew.


The cracklings aren't as crisp as I'd like but from bitter experience, I'd prefer not to burn it and ruin the lard.


Drain it in a collander.


I read that the fine bits could be filtered through a coffee filter. Not the coffee filters we have. I suspected this wouldn't work but I thought I'd give it a shot.


Never a frown, with golden brown.

Dobrou Chut'!

Addendum: Jan does the same thing except with much better photography here.

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this? Looks absolutely divine. Some of the articles I read on rendering fat mentioned the smell but for me the smell was heaven.

    Maybe I can get the butcher to cut up the fat into 2 inch cubes, afterall they do have all the proper equipment for cutting.

    Kateryna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katka,

    If it smells bad then the fat wasn't fresh and should be thrown out. Happened to me once actually, my own fault, I let it sit in the fridge for a week before trying to render. Phew, that wasn't a nice smell. Otherwise, I don't notice a strong smell.

    ReplyDelete