Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Taco Bell "Beef"--Definitely Not Shealthy


According the lawyer suing Taco bell, their Seasoned Ground Beef only contains around 35% beef. Here's the list of ingredients from their website:
Beef, Water, Seasoning [Isolated Oat Product, Salt, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Tomato Powder, Oats (Wheat), Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Spices, Maltodextrin, Soybean Oil (Anti-dusting Agent), Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Silicon Dioxide, Natural Flavors, Yeast, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphates. CONTAINS SOYBEAN, WHEAT
Amazing how something that lists beef as the first ingredient can only contain 35% of it.

I'm amused that they stick Isolated Oat Product* in as the primary seasoning. I love seasonings, maybe I ought to get me some Isolated Oat Product, too.

And what the hell is silicon dioxide doing in there? You put sand in your taco meat??!!!! Is this some sort of elaborate practical joke?  

I'd stay away from the beans, also:
Pinto Beans, Soy Oil (Trans Free Shortening with TBHQ and Citric Acid to protect flavor), Salt, Calcium Chloride.
Soy oil is a lot worse than sand. I mean at least sand is indigestible (unless you are a cyborg, of course).

Still, I don't think there's much wrong with homemade tacos. Sure there's the corn shell, but it doesn't make a huge impact when the taco is loaded up with beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and plenty of salsa. Damn, I just made myself hungry.

*Ask Dr Davis what he thinks about oats.

2 comments:

  1. When I was getting my master's we had a project centered on Taco Bell's business practices and how they changed the fast food industry. I have not eaten there in a long time but my MIL makes homemade tacos every Monday. I just have a taco salad by skipping the shells although she actually pan fries the soft corn tortillas to make a semi-hard shell. Just rockin'! I recommend it as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I forgot about the corn shell, ought to be fried in lard, not the store-bought kind. Otherwise, I'm totally willing to take that grain hit (at least it isn't wheat), and since the corn in corn tortillas is prepared in a fairly traditional manner, I think someone like Stephan Guyenet would give it a thumbs up.

    I really miss good Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete