Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Help! Help! I'm Being Repressed!


Can we just quit bitching about Big Pharma?

Wait, let me rephrase that, there's nothing wrong with bitching about Big Pharma, they suck, of course. What I've got a big problem with is people (extremely intelligent people in the health blogosphere) wanting to lay the blame and responsibility of things like statins at the feet of Big Pharma.

I've already banged on about this but I just can't help it. No one (yet) is forcing anyone else to take statins or any of that other crap that buys into the diet-heart hypothesis. Especially in this day and age, with all the information readily available for free, there's no excuse not to educate oneself before taking a prescription drug, or doing anything else that involves one's health. "My doctor recommended me to go on Lipitor, plus I saw a commercial for it." And if your doctor recommended you eat your own head, would you do that also?

Five years ago, I created the Wikipedia page on pyelectasis. Why? Because the page didn't exist and  a doctor wanted to draw an amnio sample while my son was in utero (thereby raising the risk of a miscarriage) because pyelectasis is a "soft marker" for Down's. After reading everything I could find out about it, I concluded that a single soft marker for Down's didn't warrant the risk of the procedure. After doing all the research I wrote the Wiki page to help other parents make more hopefully informed decisions. Am I a doctor? No, not even close. I just don't like to take anyone's word for anything, especially if it involves the health of myself or my loved ones.

If a doctor tried to prescribe me statins I'd laugh in his or her face. HA! HA HA! If a doctor wanted to prescribe me something else, I'd damn well find out everything I could about it before I even considered taking it.

Big Pharma has simply responded to the diet-heart hypothesis that has long been accepted and propagated by governments and "science" journalists.

Oh, what a giveaway! That's what I'm on about! Did you see Big Pharma repressing me? You saw them, Didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment