Wednesday, July 27, 2011

They Grow Up So Quick

The falcon family that live outside our kitchen window have been carrying on with their lives and now there looks to be one quite curious juvenile(?) who seems pretty close to trying out his or her flight feathers.

I love that stare of a stone-cold predator

It was easy to take this picture because the young'un doesn't spook at all when I stick my head out the window, just looks at me with frank curiosity. The parents spook very easily and I don't like to stress them unnecessarily so I try to be careful about observing them.

The nest is only about 15 feet away but I'm no nature photographer. Here's the uncropped photo to give you an idea of how their nest is located.


It's not all fun and games. They are loud as hell when they are getting fed in the morning, around 4-5 AM (not sure if there are one or two of them at this point). I assume the parents hunt at night and return in the early morning. I've had to get up and close the windows just to get back to sleep. Also they leave plenty of crap, mice bones and fur on the sidewalk below. But it is easily worth it to observe these magnificent creatures at somewhat close-hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment